Ukr. Bot. J. 2013, 70(3): 336–341
Vegetation Science, Ecology, Conservation
Seed propagation and renewal of the population of Silene jailensis N.I. Rubtzov (Caryophyllaceae) on the South-Eastern slope of Nikitskaya Yaila in the Mountain CrimeaNikiforov O.R.
- Nikitsky Botanical Gardens – National Scientific Centre NAASU (NBG–NSC)
- AR Crimea, Yalta, 98648, Ukraine
Dissemination, propagation and renewal of the population of Silene jailensis (Caryophyllaceae) was studied during 2004–2011 on the south-eastern slope of Nikitskaya Yaila (1350–1400 m above sea level). Productivity of plants depends on the development rhythm of elementary shoots. Only those shoots formed from summer till late spring of the next year achieve the generative phase. The main modes of dissemination are ballistochory, anemochory, and mirmecochory. The most efficient mode of dispersal is ballistochory near the plants of age g. Less efficient modes of dispersal are anemochory and mirmecochory near the plants of age g, regularly producing large quantities of seeds. Ballistochory near the plants of such age is not efficient because of the dense structure of shoots. These propagation peculiarities show the main strategy of the population renewal: plants are maintained in localities on the slope edge, slightly spreading from there in horizontal and vertical directions. This strategy makes migration of the species almost impossible.
Keywords: Silene jailensis, relict, Crimean Mountains, population, fruits, seeds
Full text: PDF (Rus) 421K
- Ena An.V., Ena Al.V. Ukr. botan. zhurn., 2001, 58(1): 27–34.
- Klochko Z.F., Plyushch I.G., Sheshurak P.N. Annotirovannyi katalog sovok (Lepidoptera, Noctuidae) fauny Ukrainy, Kiev: In-t zoologii imeni I.I. Shmalhauzena NAN Ukrainy, 2001, 884 p.
- Kochkin M.A. Pochvy, lesa, klimat Gornogo Kryma i puti ikh ratsionalnogo ispolzovaniya, Moscow: Kolos, 1967, 368 p.
- Levina R.E. Morfologiya i ekologiya plodov, Leningrad: Nauka, 1987, 160 p.
- Levina R.E. Reproduktivnaya biologiya semennykh rasteniy, Moscow: Nauka, 1981, 96 p.
- Nikiforov A.R. Byul. Nikit. botan. sada, 2008, Vyp. 96, pp. 20–23.
- Nikiforov A.R. Byul. Nikit. botan. sada, 2008, Vyp. 96, pp. 17–20.
- Nikiforov A.R. Ukr. botan. zhurn., 2011, 68(4): 552–559.
- Nikiforov A.R. Ukr. botan. zhurn., 2012, 69(2): 211–217.